Friday, September 28, 2012

What I Learned in School Today...

So if you didn't know, and I won't be offended if you didn't, I'm a TESOL minor! Aka teaching english as a second langage. So I'm taking this classes called Intro to the English Language and below is a legimate assignment. Enjoy.

This is Sydney Walton. 
            Friends often joke that my roommate Sydney speaks a different language. After thoughtful consideration and learning about the ways that English words form, I have come to the conclusion that she is indeed speaking English; Sydney is so far advanced that she has crossed a threshold and is merely coming up with new words to contribute to the greater English language.  First she started with the simple abbreviation, or in her mind, abbrev. By clipping a word it becomes shorter and easier to say. Sydney hind clipped the word “perfect” and now instead utilizes “perf.” Additionally, “totally” was much too inconvenient to use on a regular basis and now has been replaced by the word “totes” by applying the same hind clipping. “Obvi” integrates these same ideas, stemming from the word “obviously.” A particularly advanced word in Sydney’s vocabulary is “cray cray” because it utilizes two different types, shortening and then reduplication. First she hind clips the word “crazy” to become “cray” and then reduplicates and it becomes “cray cray.” To describe boys that she has feelings of infatuation for, Sydney calls them her “crushy.” By employing backformation, she took the noun “crush” as in ‘I have a crush on him’ and added the suffix “y” to make another noun, this one describing the person, not the emotion. By hind clipping and then combining, the word “jellyfish” was created, but not referring to the sea creature. First it was the word “jealous” which was then hind clipped to become “jelly” which then was put in front of “fish” to create the final product. Correspondingly, “fun” became “funnel cakes” but skipped the clipping step. "Zerts” is a word that describes any food eaten before or after the designated meal. The word “appetizer” was fore clipped, giving us “zer.” The word “dssert” was hind clipped, leaving us with “sert.” By combining these two, we have “zerts.” Lastly, if our date with our “crushy” to go get “zerts” goes well enough to make our roommates “jellyfish” it is time to have a “DTR.” This stands for ‘Define the Relationship.’ However, it is an acronym because it is pronounced /ditur/.  As her vocabulary continues to expand I would hope that those who assume abbreviations are associated with unintellingence, would think twice.



Yes, I shared this video as apart of my presentation. Oh and yes. I got an A.

3 comments:

  1. I love you so much. And I love Syndey. There are many words there that are a regular part of my vocabulary too. I guess we are both highly intelligent beings, wouldn't you say? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAHAHAHAH. This is too funny, Al.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. Have you talked with Morgan? I think Tom is his hero. Now he's got my mom saying some of it.

    ReplyDelete