So back in the glory days of Texas Summer 2012, Sydney and I met up for dinner with some girlfriends from BYU who live about forty five minutes away from us. As we parked I noted the need to fill up the gas tank- but (this is important!!) the empty light was not on yet. After an hour or two of free refills and giggling and just general girl talk, we said our goodbyes and went on our merry, respective ways. But, I suuupose my car was parked at such an angle where it was reading the gas tank as empty and subsequently the car wouldn't start.
Like any rational girls would do in our situation, we hitch hiked with the sanest, most normal people we could see-- a handful of some newly licensed teenage girls. Of course upon arriving at the gas station, we realized we didn't have a gas can. Or whatever those thingys are called. Syd and I scampered across the parking lot to the grocery store (with our new besties in the car waiting for us) but lo and behold, Kroger is also lacking in the gas can department. Luckily the manager overhears our desperate pleas and invites us to follow him around to the back parking lot (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) where has a gas can in the trunk of his car (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW WE WEREN'T KIDNAPPED but we were high on anxiety and stress and followed him and were rewarded with a sticky and dusty but gloriously real, gas can. We ventured back to the front parking lot where our new besties were anxiously awaiting our arrival ("we were two minutes away from calling the police!!!") and we headed back to my car.
Ten minutes after being dropped off we realized I left my cell phone in the car of those nice kind wonderful teenage girls. Also on my drive home I got t-boned by a non-english speaker. The fact that he doesn't speak English is fine I just hope you really get the picture of us both getting out of our cars and not being able to communicate. At all.
Moral of the story is... I don't know. I will never know if by having the weirdest night of my life I delayed myself long enough to avoid a future car accident closer to my house, or maybe my tires would have blown the next day. Or maybe I was just supposed to learn a lesson about being prepared? Life is so weird. This entire blog post is because a) i love reminiscing-- especially about myself b) this is my vague, round about way of saying my life is confusing me right now.

I feel stressed just reading this post. Also, I also wonder why weird things like that happen on the road, and have often concluded that it is to prevent a serious car accident 9or something) from happening to me.
ReplyDeleteThis kills me. I freaking love you. I am glad you didn't get kidnapped, because that would make me sad. When did your mom find out, and what did she say? Better question: When did Gary find out, and what did HE say??
ReplyDelete